Saturday, November 29, 2014

You Get What You Give

This song popped into my head today. I'm not sure exactly what prompted it, but I like its message:

Wake up kids
We've got the dreamers disease
Age 14 we got you down on your knees
So polite, you're busy still saying please
Fri-enemies, who when you're down ain't your friend
Every night we smash their Mercedes-Benz
First we run and then we laugh till we cry
But when the night is falling
and you cannot find the light
If you feel your dream is dying
Hold tight
You've got the music in you

Yes I do -- have the music in me, that is. And that's a relief. As I attempt to sleep off this year's Thanksgiving -- and I don't mean the food -- I needed this pep talk from my inner ipod:

Don't let go
You've got the music in you
One dance left
This world is gonna pull through
Don't give up
You've got a reason to live
Can't forget you only get what you give

I know that's true, and I know that I give the best sort of love to my children, friends and lovers -- the kind that respects who they are as individuals, the kind that is empathetic, playful, sensitive, considerate and without conditions -- and in many respects, that's what I get back.

It is also true that I'm still one man in my bed short of living my dream life, but I am choosing to trust the New Radicals when they say that somehow, someway, following my heart is all I really need to do:

This whole damn world can fall apart
You'll be ok follow your heart

No comments:

Post a Comment