Saturday, March 28, 2015

It Takes a Lot to Know a Man

This morning I drove my kids and their Dad to the airport where they are Brazil-bound. Me, I'm sticking around here. I've got a bunch of work that needs to get done this week, and although I'll certainly miss my babes, it feels good to have some space.

So far I've done some work, taken a nap, gone for a run, and been to a hot yoga class. The yoga class was taught by an instructor who was recommended to me by a friend. He was pretty great during the class, I have to admit, but the best part came at the end of class when he sang this song to us during savasana:

It takes a lot to know a man
It takes a lot to understand
The warrior, the sage
The little boy enraged

It takes a lot to know a woman
A lot to understand what's humming
The honeybee, the sting
The little girl with wings

It takes a lot to give, to ask for help
To be yourself, to know and love what you live with
It takes a lot to breathe, to touch, to feel
The slow reveal of what another body needs

It takes a lot to know a man
A lot to know, to understand
The father and the son
The hunter and the gun

It takes a lot know a woman
A lot to comprehend what's coming
The mother and the child
The muse and the beguiled

It takes a lot to give, to ask for help
To be yourself, to know and love what you live with
It takes a lot to breathe, to touch, to feel
The slow reveal of what another body needs

What are you so afraid to lose?
What is it you're thinking that will happen if you do?
What are you so afraid to lose?

I don't think I'm afraid of losing anything, other than my kids. But maybe I have other walls I cannot see?

In any case, it was an amazing way to end class. It probably would have been no matter what song he chose, but this song happens to be a new-to-me song by an artist I like, which is even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment