Thursday, April 30, 2015

What a Difference a Day Makes

Best Birthday Dinner Dates Ever!
This song came into my head yesterday as I was contemplating the difference in how I feel about my birthday this year as compared to last year:

What a difference a day made
Twenty-four little hours
Brought the sun and the flowers
Where there used to be rain
My yesterday was blue, dear
Today I'm part of you, dear
My lonely nights are through, dear
(Since you said you were mine)
What a diff'rence a day makes

I know that the lyrics only sort of fit -- it's a year, not a day, and I'm not talking about finally finding my love -- but it does feel like I'm in a completely different place this year than last:

1) This year I'm free to do what I want to do with my day and my life in a way that I wasn't last year.
2) This year I'm not in a romantic relationship where I don't feel acknowledged; I am not in a romantic relationship and I feel acknowledged.

Both of those are huge shifts!

There's a rainbow before me
Skies above can't be stormy
My very own slice of carrot cake 
Since that moment of bliss
That thrilling kiss
(It's heaven when you find romance on your menu)
What a difference a day made
And the difference is you
(What a difference a day makes)
(There's a rainbow before me)
(Skies above can't be stormy)
Since that moment of bliss, that thrilling kiss
(It's heaven when you find romance on your menu)
What a difference a day made
And the difference is you

No Dinah, the difference is me. The difference is going with the flow. It's not trying to force anything to work that just isn't working. It's not needing to have control or to hold myself back because I'm afraid.

And my kids! I've always felt loved by my kids on my birthday, but there was something about this year that I felt it even more so. My son arrived home from school on his bike with this slice of carrot cake -- my favorite -- for me. Both kids made amazing cards, each of which expressed how much they appreciate all different aspects of my being. AND they bought me a new shirt -- which I'm donning in the photo above!

Overall, I feel a sense of fullness rather than a sense of lack -- who could ask for anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment