Monday, May 4, 2015

Workin' For A Livin'

I've talked before about the Notes from the Universe that arrive in my inbox each morning, but this morning's really felt spot on:

What if the word "work" was changed to "dance-with-life," Sarah? And instead of it being viewed as an alternative to fishing or a way of "paying your dues," it was seen as a chance to meet a parade of new friends, discover your own untested potentials and unpolished gifts, and open avenues for abundance to come pouring into your life?

Yeah, I bet lottery sales would plummet.

Start the parade,
    The Universe

It really feels like I have begun to make this shift in my life. To come at my work from my heart -- to work on the problems that I feel most need to be addressed -- and to do it without compromising my integrity. Partnering with other smart people who want to help change what's not working in our world. It's a pretty amazing feeling.

And it's pretty diametrically opposed to the song that came to me when I was reading my Notes from the Universe:

Somedays won't end ever and somedays pass on by,
I'll be working here forever, at least until I die.
Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't
I'm supposed to get a raise next week, you know damn well I won't.

Workin' for a livin' (workin')
Workin' for a livin' (workin')
Workin' for a livin', livin' and workin'
I'm taking what they giving 'cause I'm working for a livin'.

Hey I'm not complaining 'cause I really need the work
Hitting up my buddy's got me feeling like a jerk
Hundred dollar car note, two hundred rent.
I get a check on Friday, but it's already spent.

Workin' for a livin' (workin')
Workin' for a livin' (workin')
Workin' for a livin', livin' and workin'
I'm taking what they giving 'cause I'm working for a livin'.

Ooh, workin' for a livin'
Ooh, taking what they giving
Ooh, workin' for a livin'
Ooh, ooh

Bus boy, bartender, ladies of the night
Grease monkey, ex-junky, winner of the fight
Walking on the streets, its really all the same
Selling souls, rock n' roll, any other day

No more soul selling for this chick. I'm working for myself now -- and while it is still under construction you can check out my new web site to see how things are starting to shape up...

No comments:

Post a Comment