Friday, May 10, 2013

I Won't Give Up

Ten years ago today, this little beauty came into my life. Pretty much ever since, she's been challenging me to become the best version of myself I can be.

I woke up wondering which song I would use to mark her birthday, and when I got in the car this afternoon and heard Jason's voice, I knew I'd found it:

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well, there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

This is a kid who knows things. Let me give you an example. When she heard that my then-boyfriend was moving away, we talked about whether or not he and I would stay together long distance. She said she hoped not, because she really wanted a stepdad, but then said in her wise-beyond-her-years-way: "Well, I don't know Mom, you don't let go of people easily."

She's right about that. All the tumult in my lovelife makes me all the more grateful for the relationships I have with my children. Ones where I get to decide not to walk away, not to give up, and let that guide me:

Well, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

I'm not gonna lie. Having both of my kids reach double digits is a pretty big deal for me. I loved, loved, loved the closeness of being a mother to the babe you see at the top of this post, but I also love seeing who she becomes by moving away from me and more into herself:

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

I'm proud to say that one of the things she's finding is music. She was walking around the house a few weeks ago singing this song, and then she came to find me to ask if I knew the song, saying that she liked it. "I like it too," I told her, and the next time we heard it in the car together, we both sang along:

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up...

No comments:

Post a Comment