Tuesday, May 28, 2013

It's Too Late

Here we all are at the Northernmost point of the U.P.!
Ever since the first time I went to Copper Harbor with my (then) boyfriend, I wanted to go back with the kids. Once he'd decided to leave for his homeland at the end of June, I wasn't sure we could make it happen before his departure. He encouraged me to take the kids on my own, but I wasn't sure I was up for a 7 hour drive (in each direction) by myself.

But last weekend, we managed to load up the Volvo Cross Country and head north. We had a fabulous adventure, and I think we were all grateful that we found time to make the trip together before it was too late.

As if on cue, on the drive home, this song came on the radio, and that, combined with something that was said in the car on the way home, got the tears rolling for yours truly:

Stayed in bed all mornin' just to pass the time
There's something wrong here there can be no denyin'
One of us is changin'
Or maybe we've just stopped tryin'

And it's too late baby, now it's too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died and I can't hide it
And I just can't fake it
Oh, no no no no
(No no no no)

It used to be so easy livin' here with you
You were light and breezy
And I knew just what to do
Now, you look so unhappy and I feel like a fool

And it's too late baby, now it's too late
Though we really did try to make it
(We can't make it)
Something inside has died and I can't hide it
And I just can't fake it
Oh, no no

There'll be good times again for me and you
But we just can't stay together don't you feel it too?
Still, I'm glad for what we had
And how I once loved you

Still do. But something shifted in me on that trip home -- something that had probably been in the process of shifting for months -- and that was my level of acceptance about the fact that for whatever love we share, for each other and for my kids, he is focused on going away to have the freedom to do what he wants to do, and it just doesn't work for me to be with someone making that choice:

It's too late, baby
It's too late
Now darlin', it's too late

No comments:

Post a Comment