Thursday, November 21, 2013

In My Life

This afternoon, in anticipation of my parents' arrival, I went to see my acupuncturist. We always talk before I hit the table, and this time I talked about my parents. While I was on the table, she let me know I had been shouting when I was talking about them. "Anger is just something in the way of what's coming next," she said. I'm still chewing on that one, but I felt a whole lot better after my treatment.

In addition to dealing with anger, we dealt with a little bit of grief, too, and we talked about having having a forward orientation from here on out. I don't have to know what's next, she said, but that's the direction I'm looking: Forward. I like it.

Tonight my son had his honor band concert, in which he played percussion. We met my parents there, and it was an interesting experience to watch the concert with my Dad. During one of the ensembles, he leaned over to me and said: "There you are," indicating the tallest girl in the group, and a redhead to boot: "red hair and taller than everyone else." I'd known that I was the tallest kid in my school in 6th grade, of course, but it was a different experience altogether to see a young girl that resembled me through my Dad's eyes.

Anyway, the concert was a smashing success, and on the way home, we heard this song:

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all

Word moptops, I'm feeling every word of the first verse. But in this second verse, I'm taking the liberty of using my forward orientation because I believe I've yet to meet my incomparable lover:

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more

I'm gonna love him more, yes I am, and in the meantime, I'm busting with pride about the little man in my life (who's not so little anymore) and his fabulous sense of musical timing...

No comments:

Post a Comment