Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dream about Flying

I didn't wake up with a song in my head this morning; instead, I awoke to the memory of a very distinct dream. I dreamt about owls, and one owl in particular, whose wings were like a cape, and who appeared to be the teacher. I wasn't sure what to make of it, so I googled dreams about owls, and this is what I found:

"When you dream about an owl, your spirit animal may be contacting you to warn you about a danger or threat hat you need to pay attention to. It can bring a wise insight about important matters that you should not ignore.

When an owl appears in a dream, it could also mean that the intuitive part of you is calling for attention: Pay attention and listen to the subtle signs in your life, to what is important, but not necessarily obviously so.

The owl could also be a animal spirit guide offering you insight about a moment of transition. Since this totem animal is often associated with death, when an owl shows up in a dream, it could mean that you are receiving guidance regarding personal transformation, change.

In many dream interpretations, the owl can represent a deceased friend or family member who comes back in the dream in the shape of a spirit animal."

And it made sense on a couple of levels. One, I definitely feel like I'm undergoing a personal transformation. This letting go, really letting go, is something different than what I've done before. I've both never loved like that and I've never let go like that either. It feels totally new and not altogether comfortable.

And two, when I turned on my computer this morning, there was an email from an old college friend about our mutual friend who died four years ago. He really opened up about his feelings about her death, and I, when I wrote back, about mine. It was pretty cathartic, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if, on one level, our departed friend was the owl. She was super smart, and super wise, and her nickname in college from one of our guy group of friends was "the hawk."

Today's song selection sings of the pain we sometimes feel upon waking, whether from a good dream or a disturbing dream, when we're confronted with the reality:

Pale light this morning
Woke me
Slow pain I feel
Will not let me be

So much work to do
I don't know if I can
Trying so hard, so hard, so hard
But I'm just one man

Five years old I climbed up on the wall
My mother warned me but I took no heed
Like all creatures great and small
I took a fall and found out I could bleed

These days I'm afraid of everything
Suppose cause everything will die
Thought it was to love what they will lose
So much easier to lie

Sometimes I fell like I'm drowning
Actually it's more like most of the time
But every now and then when I'm sleeping
I still have a dream that I'm flying

And I wake up crying

Pretty depressing song, I know. But such is life, sometimes: more comfortable in sleep than awake, more comfortable in the unconscious than the conscious...

No comments:

Post a Comment