Saturday, October 17, 2015

True Blue

I was 15 when this song (and album) came out:

I've had other guys
I've looked into their eyes
But I never knew love before
'Til you walked through my door

I've had other lips
I've sailed a thousand ships
But no matter where I go
You're the one for me, baby, this I know

'Cause it's true love
You're the one I'm dreaming of
Your heart fits me like a glove
And I'm gonna be true blue, baby, I love you

My cousin and I must have played it 100 times after we purchased it while spending a week at our family's summer cottage on Lake Michigan. We wrote the song lyrics in the sand. We were way into it.

Today he sent me a video he took at a recent Madonna concert during this song, and it brought me right back to those days when he and I used to ponder what true love was all about (we didn't have a clue and wouldn't for another decade or two).

But now we do know. He's married to a wonderful man, and I (sorta) recently had the opportunity to fall completely in love and be loved by an incredible man. I could've sworn it was true love -- maybe it was -- but it didn't turn out to be the happily ever after kind.

So while I might not be at this point yet:

No more sadness, I kiss it goodbye
The sun is bursting right out of the sky
I searched the whole world for someone like you
Don't you know, don't you know that it's

True love, oh baby, true love, oh baby
True love, oh baby, true love
It's true love, oh baby, true love, oh baby
True love, oh baby, true love

It's true, so if you should ever doubt
Wonder what love is all about
Just think back and remember dear
Those words whispered in your ear, I said

True love, oh baby, true love, oh baby
True love, oh baby, true love
It's true love, oh baby, true love, oh baby
True love, oh baby, true love
It's true love

I do know what it feels like, and I know how it happens. It doesn't happen because you're wearing something cute or manage to be a certain weight or say the right thing or do something really well -- that's what I used to think. But now I know it's much more magical than that, and I know I'll know it when I feel it again...

No comments:

Post a Comment