Saturday, October 10, 2015

Live Like You Were Dyin'

 A fire's not quite the same in the driveway!
Ever since my trip to Copper Harbor, I've been daydreaming about waking up in the tent with my little birds. When I saw that the weather was supposed to be beautiful this weekend, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to go camping.

I was wrong. My son didn't feel comfortable leaving our sick guinea pig at home alone, even for 24 hours. So we compromised: stay home tonight, leave in the morning for the state park where we were going to camp and at least spend the super warm October day out in nature.

My daughter and I went to the hardware store and purchased a fire pit so that she could cook her hot dogs and the kids could eat s'mores. Not having a s'more -- because it is day 19 of the Whole 30 for me -- sucked. But I managed.

My daughter and I have also spent a lot of the day -- actually a lot of the last three days -- laughing together, which has felt pretty awesome.

I've had this song in my head for DAYS, and while our adventures were curtailed this weekend, it does feel like we are embracing life the best way we know how:

He said I was in my early 40's
With a lot of life before me
And a moment came that stopped me on a dime
I spent most of the next days, lookin' at the x-rays
Talkin' 'bout the options and talkin' 'bout sweet time
Asked him when it sank in, that this might really be the real end
How's it hit ya, when you get that kind of news
Man what ya do
And he says

I went sky divin'
I went rocky mountain climbin'
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull name Fumanchu
And I loved deeper
And I spoke sweeter
And I gave forgiveness I've been denying
And he said someday I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin'

Like tomorrow was a gift and you've got eternity
To think about what you do with it,
What could you do with it, what can
I do with with it, what would I do with it.

Tomorrow is most definitely a gift, as was today...

No comments:

Post a Comment