Saturday, May 24, 2014

Three Little Birds

Three little birds inside their happy little tent
With Memorial Day weekend upon us and no trip to the cabin in our plans, we decided to camp for a night at Governor Dodge State Park and then go from there to my son's noon soccer game -- also in Dodgeville.

Because we hatched our plan late in the game, the only campsites available were Horse Camp -- which I dinged because I thought it might be noisy and smelly -- and a group site. The group site was $25 more than a regular site, but as it turned out, it was worth every penny. We had a huge wooded space to ourselves. No listening to other people partying or snoring while we were trying to sleep -- just the three of us in our tent.

Our huge, awesome campsite
Before we left town yesterday, my daughter had a music program at her school. Her Dad and I were so happy to see how actively she participated -- we haven't seen her sing so freely since preschool. This was one of the songs she sang, and given our idyllic surroundings, and the variety of birdcalls we got to hear from our tent this morning, this song seems perfect to mark this day:

Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin': Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!
Can't see a lot of it here but the sky was gorgeous!

Rise up this mornin',
Smile with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Each by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', "This is my message to you-ou-ou: "

Don't get me wrong. There were things to worry about. I suppose there always are. For one thing, my daughter wasn't feeling well on the drive last night and consequently wasn't feeling like camping was a good idea. I had to keep the faith for both of us that it would all work out.

Yeah, it was touch and go for a while, but there was a moment -- after we'd finished our delicious breakfast sandwiches and crawled back in the tent to relax under the bright blue sky -- when my daughter remarked about how much she loved the feeling of relaxing in the tent. We all concurred. And in that moment, every little thing was all right...

No comments:

Post a Comment