Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Say You Say Me

The forecast for today was scattered thunderstorms. It's true. I knew that. But I still rode my bike to work, and after work I headed out the door from the gym downtown to do my 7 mile loop to picnic point and back, headphones on, phone strapped to my arm.

The bike ride went fine, but about a mile into my run, it started to absolutely pour. I darted into the Campus Inn, which I was luckily right near when the rain started. I asked the young woman at the desk if she would mind if I left my phone there while I ran because I knew (from experience) that it would get ruined if I took it with me in the torrential downpour. She kindly agreed, and as I went to unstrap it, the headphones came out and Slacker 80s hits starting playing out loud in the lobby.

That's right.

We're talking Lionel Richie here:

Say you, say me
Say it for always, that's the way it should be
Say you, say me
Say it together, naturally

I had to laugh, because it probably isn't super common to run to the tune of cheesy 80s ballads. What can I say?

They move me:

As we go down life's lonesome highway
Seems the hardest thing to do is to find a friend or two
A helping hand - some one who understands
That when you feel you've lost your way
You've got some one there to say I'll show you

Say you, say me
Say it for always, that's the way it should be
Say you, say me
Say it together, naturally

So you think you know the answers - oh no
'cause the whole world has got you dancing
That's right - I'm telling you
It's time to start believing - oh yes
Believe in who you are - you are a shining star

Thanks Lionel. I like to think so. I took in so much water on that run that my feet kept making noises like there was someone right on my heels. Nope. Just me. Running in the pouring rain. Without Lionel to keep me company.

But after the rain passed, I was both rewarded with a rainbow and able to retrieve my phone. Not quite what I planned, but a pretty awesome experience nonetheless.

Kinda like my life as a whole...

No comments:

Post a Comment