Thursday, May 15, 2014

Good Life

I think I may be done with the woe is me stage. Not that there's anything wrong with that, when that's where one is, but I sure am glad to be climbing out of it.

During my practice today, it came to me that this time in my life isn't really about whether I am offered a particular job or have a successful relationship, it's about my own integration and wholeness. That's why I show up on my mat most days. That's why I choose not to drink on more days than I choose to drink. That's why I listen to Brene Brown in the car. That's why I go to Alanon meetings and therapy and that's why I write this blog. To become more fully the person I am. Not the one I thought I was, not the one my ex-husband thought I was, not the one my parents thought I was. But the person I am. Today.

The other thing that always helps chase the blues away is getting my kids back and getting to take care of them and be with them. My daughter and I were sitting at the dining room table working on thank you notes tonight when she requested that I play this song she'd heard at school:

Woke up in London yesterday
Found myself in the city near Piccadilly
Don't really know how I got here
I got some pictures on my phone

New names and numbers that I don't know
Address to places like Abbey Road
Day turns to night, night turns to whatever we want
We're young enough to say

Oh this has gotta be the good life
This has gotta be the good life
This could really be a good life, good life

I reckon it is really a good life:

Say oh, got this feeling that you can't fight
Like this city is on fire tonight
This could really be a good life
A good, good life

At this point in the song my daughter came over and closed my ears:

Sometimes there's airplanes I can't jump out
Sometimes there's bullshit that don't work now
We all got our stories but please tell me-e-e-e
What there is to complain about

...which is pretty adorable considering I'm the biggest contributor to the swear jar I established in our house. Love that kid, and most of the time, I love who I am around her:

When you're happy like a fool
Let it take you over
When everything is out
You gotta take it in

Oh this has gotta be the good life
This has gotta be the good life
This could really be a good life, good life

No comments:

Post a Comment