Friday, May 2, 2014

Love is an Open Door

I picked up my daughter from school this afternoon and on the way home, we heard a song from Frozen on the radio. The song reminded us we've been meaning to go see the movie before it left the cheap theatre. As luck would have it, when we got home we found out there was a showing in 15 minutes at a theatre just 10 minutes from our house, so we headed straight over.

The movie was cute. We enjoyed it. It had some good special effects.

But there was one particular part that struck a chord with me, which was this song:

But with you
I found my place
I see your face

And it's nothing like I've ever known before....
Love is an open door
Love is an open door
Love is an open door

During the lead-in to the song, he tells her he'll never shut her out. That's a promise, as hard as I tried, that I failed to elicit from my last love. He needed to preserve his habit of retreating; I found that it smacked too closely of the depression that has riddled my family and broken countless hearts (including my own) over the years. Nope, I don't want to be shut out. I won't be, and this is where much of the clarity about the breakup comes from this time around.

When I heard this song during the movie I was thinking yeah, love is an open door, until it slams shut in your face. And that's how I'm feeling, a big part of me at least, but I know the truth is that even when we have to say goodbye to one love, love remains an open door in more ways than one:

1) There's the love that the two of us will always have for each other;
2) There's the love that we'll find with our next partners.

So even though it feels like it is slamming shut in my face right now, I gotta believe, along with Anna, that:

Love is an open door...

No comments:

Post a Comment