Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Beautiful Day

Springtime at the Capitol!
I've been keeping up with my daily gratitude journal, and I'm happy to report that each day I find more for which to be grateful.

This morning started off cloudy and looking like it might rain, but after my 5-minute morning meditation, I pedaled over to the studio for my morning practice. I arrived with a whole hour in which to practice, which had been my goal after the weekend. The practice felt great, and when I saw my old teacher at the end of it (he was coming in to teach his class), he commented on how bright-eyed we Ashtangis were.

I am feeling much brighter eyed after this weekend. As painful as it was, I think it did a lot for me. After work today I went for a 7-mile run out to Picnic Point and back to the Capitol, and my body felt really strong and limber. (During my last long run I kept having to stop and stretch because my hip and leg were bothering me.) Who knew that sitting still and feeling my feelings could loosen me up where yoga could not?

This beautiful day turned out to be sunny and 80 degrees -- one of those Wisco spring days that feels like summer came overnight. When I got done with my run, I walked over to Collectivo to get myself a chocolate milk -- the perfect recovery drink -- and on my way back to the gym for a shower, I saw a woman photographing the tulips on the Capitol lawn. I've seen people doing this many times this Spring, but until today, I wasn't moved to take one of my own (see photo).

I'm super happy with the way the photo turned out, and how well it dovetails with the song I've chosen to mark this day:

The heart is a bloom
Shoots up through the stony ground
There's no room
No space to rent in this town

It's a beautiful day
Sky falls, you feel like
It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away

Yes Bono, it is a beautiful day, and I'm in such a good space to appreciate it. I'm going to try not to cling to it, though -- that was the lesson in the guided meditation I went to this evening on my way home. (My old yoga teacher started a group a year or two ago which I've known about but until now I had not been inspired to attend.)

And I do love this town:

You love this town
Even if that doesn't ring true
You've been all over
And it's been all over you

I feel so fortunate to live in a house I love, to practice yoga in a studio I love, to work in a beautiful building, to have my gym as a home base for showers after exercising outdoors, to have such a scenic run just down the street from my work, to live in such a bike friendly place and own such an Archie-friendly bike.

Oh yes, and so glad it is finally warm outside!

It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away
It's a beautiful day

Touch me
Take me to that other place
Reach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case

I sure do know that. And I'm trusting that going about my daily life and feeling gratitude is going to bring me most of what I want and all of what I need:

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
What you don't have you don't need it now
Don't need it now
Was a beautiful day

No comments:

Post a Comment