Friday, May 30, 2014

Survivor

This morning on my run around the Arboretum, I wasn't feeling strong. I wasn't feeling energetic. I decided to listen to Alternative Workout to see if that would help, but it didn't do too much.

A couple of miles into it, I passed a woman who I could tell was doing the same loop. She didn't look like she was doing too well, and I found myself judging her for looking like she was struggling. Fast forward another mile, and the same woman passed me!

"Oh no you don't." I thought to myself. "Whatever you've got in that tank of yours, I guarantee you I've got more." And I sped up, passed her, and kept running at a much faster pace than I had been.

I know this scene isn't particularly pretty, and I'm not proud of the judgment. But I was glad to get in touch with my inner strength. I'm gonna need it as I head into yoga weekend number two. I'm sure more openings -- not all of them comfortable -- are coming.

I do have an incredible well of strength. I also have an incredible inner juke box -- so sure of what it wants to hear that during my run it played a song in my head even as my headphones were filled with another one:

I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm not gon give up (What?)
I'm not gon stop (What?)
I'm gon work harder (What?)
I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm gonna make it (What?)
I will survive (What?)
Keep on survivin' (What?)

I am a survivor. And while it doesn't feel great that life feels more like surviving than easy living this week, I'd rather be a survivor than the alternative...

I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm not gon give up (What?)
I'm not gon stop (What?)
I'm gon work harder (What?)
I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm gonna make it (What?)
I will survive (What?)
Keep on survivin' (What?)

No comments:

Post a Comment