Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Where Does the Good Go

I feel a bit like I'm being tested right now. My long-term relationship is over. I am hoping to change jobs, but I applied for three different positions and got offered exactly none of them. So to combat the desire to stay in bed and eat bon bons all day, I've taken to making a daily list of things for which I am grateful.

Sleep is always on the list. I love to sleep. That's true whether things are good or bad -- it's just so awesome. Last night I got about 9 hours, which reminds me of a line from When Harry Met Sally: "That's the good thing about depression. You get your rest."

Yep.

Tonight, however, when I crawl into bed and pull out my gratitude journal, it's these identical twin sisters and their rockin' song that are gonna top the list:

Where do you go with your broken heart in tow?
What do you do with the left over you?
And how do you know, when to let go?
Where does the good go? Where does the good go?

Good question. I've been wondering that myself. On some level I trust that it's out there in some sort of cosmic recycling bin, but it feels more like it got pulverized because I don't see or feel any trace of it right now.

Look me in the eye and tell me you don't find me attractive
Look me in the heart and tell me you won't go
Look me in the eye and promise, no love is like our love
Look me in the heart and unbreak broken, it won't happen

It's love that leaves, that breaks the seal
Of always thinking you would be
Real happy and healthy, strong and calm
Where does the good go? Where does the good go?

Where do you go when you're in love and the world knows?
How do you live so happily while I am sad and broken down?
What do you say it's up for grabs now that you're on your way down?
Where does the good go? Where does the good go?

I don't rightly know, but hopefully it'll become apparent before too long...

No comments:

Post a Comment