Friday, May 16, 2014

Glory of Love

This morning I ran around the Arboretum (6 mile loop) before heading to a yoga class. I'm loving my new Slacker station of choice, 80s hits. I heard so many great tunes while I was running, many of which lifted my spirits, including this one:

Tonight it's very clear
'Cause we're both lying here
There's so many things I wanna say
I will always love you
I would never leave you alone

Sometimes I just forget
Say things I might regret
It breaks my heart to see you crying
I don't wanna lose you
I could never make it alone

I am a man who will fight for your honor
I'll be the hero you're dreaming of
We'll live forever
Knowing together
That we did it all for the glory of love

How can the song from the second Karate Kid movie (I used to diggg Ralph Macchio) not make one smile?

But then, about 3 miles in, an 80s hit came on that sparked a memory (one I conveniently have a blog post about since I marked the day with the song, Sister Christian) that nearly doubled me over with grief. Sobbing and running are not easy to do at the same time, but that's what I did. And it was hard, really hard, but I let myself feel it, and it passed.

Tonight I had a tune-up with one of my pit crew and I told her the story of my breakup. I told her I had been struggling a little bit with feelings of shame about the lengths to which I was willing to go. "Yes!" she assured me. "Because you loved! That's something to be celebrated -- that you are willing to go the distance for love."

Like my Sister Christian-induced crying jag, having her tell me that made me feel better. Of course I was willing to do just about anything. I loved him!

We'll live forever
Knowing together
That we did it all for the glory of love
We did it all for love...

No comments:

Post a Comment