Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Get Here

I love this song. It's been on my internal playlist pretty much daily since I found out that one of my favorite people on this planet will get here -- reach(ing) me by airplane -- later this summer. He introduced this song to me years ago, and hearing it today, it brings back memories of how much I wanted him to get here so many years ago. And I'm so grateful he's gonna make it soon.

It's also an appropriate song for my friend in Seattle, who last year met and married her Albanian love and then had to wait a whole year before he could join her in this country. He was able to get here -- reach(ing) her by airplane -- yesterday. Yeah!

Airplane seems to be the standard mode of getting here -- although there were a couple of other ways she sings about that stood out for me. One was "you can reach me with your mind." Yes, you can, and you do, but it is infinitely less satisfying. The other is "you can windsurf into my life" -- which made me smile and think of the man who windsurfed into my life, and then back out again, on my latest trip to Maui. But that's neither here nor there. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Take it away, Oleta!

There are hills and mountains between us
Always something to get over
If I had my way, surely you would be closer
I need you closer...

No comments:

Post a Comment