Thursday, July 29, 2010

Take Me Home, Country Roads

Tonight while my daughter and I were brushing our teeth (yes, at the same time, I'm so tired I was hoping she'd tuck me in tonight) when she busted out with:

Mountain Mama!
Take me home, country roads.

What a revelation this was -- I had no idea she knew any John Denver songs -- and I knew her Dad hadn't introduced her to it. Turns out, she heard it from a friend at school. That just really warms my heart, that in the year 2010, kids are singing John Denver to each other on the playground.

She asked me if the lyric was really "Mountain mama," I told her it was. Then we looked it up on you tube and listened to this version of John singing his classic hit.

We also found this version of John with his pal Johnny Cash (with a partially obscured face), and this one of Olivia Newton-John, who apparently was the one to make his song popular down under. She sure is beautiful in this video, but what's up with its bizarre beginning? It reminded me a little of the Stephen King movie Carrie.

I loved John Denver when I was a kid, ALMOST as much as I loved Olivia Newton-John. But you'll discover more about that in future blog posts. For now:

Country roads, take me home
To the place, I belong
West Virginia, Mountain Mama
Take me home, country roads...

No comments:

Post a Comment