Friday, July 30, 2010

We Can Work It Out

It's been a bit of a rough stretch for me during the last couple of weeks as a deadline I'd been working toward crept closer and closer. The closer it got, the less time, energy and ability I had to carry out the other tasks for which I am responsible, such as buying food for/feeding my kids. I thought I was doing well enough at faking it until my daughter rode to karate with the neighbors. When they got home, my neighbor walked over and told me that the kids were hoping we could all eat dinner together, and that my daughter had started to offer: "I know!My mom can make dinner for us --oh no, but she hasn't been to the grocery store in like two weeks." Busted!

So we eventually settled on ordering pizza, which seemed to please (almost) everybody. When I was growing up, my mom used to say "you can please some of the people some of the time." It drove me CRAZY, but now that I'm a mom, I know it's just the way it is.

Tonight, too, we had a hard time settling on a dining venue (the cupboard was still bare) -- and as we were haggling, this classic (and oh-so-wise) tune popped into my head. And we did work it out, in the end, with a little help from our friends:

Life is very short, and there's no time
For fussing and fighting my friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment