Monday, July 19, 2010

The Story

This past weekend, I read with a heavy heart the story of Chris Funk's death earlier this month, a man whom I didn't personally know well, but who lived in my neighborhood and was a huge part of the lives of some of my friends. Over the years since he'd been diagnosed with brain cancer, I'd attended one of his non-profit's annual events, said hello to him at our favorite neighborhood coffee shop, and eventually heard from a friend that the end was close. Though there is no doubt that his death marks a huge loss, he also lived a really full life in his 36 years, and had a wonderful relationship with his wife, Brandi, with whom he celebrated 10 years of marriage shortly before he died. Though I didn't know them well, they were the kind of couple who seemed, if there is such a thing, made for each other.

Here's one of my favorite songs by another amazing Brandi, whose screeching voice (I mean that in the best possible way) will let you know in no uncertain terms that she indeed believes in this sort of love. Hearing her sing about it -- I can't help but believe in it too...

AHHHHLLLL of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don't mean anything
When you've got no one to tell them to
It's true -- I was made for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment