Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Make You Feel My Love

Last night I came home to a small parcel in my mailbox from a man who knows the way to my heart: music. From the mixed tapes of the early 90s when we met to today's CDs burned off itunes, few things make me happier than receiving and listening to new music.

The song that moved me most on the first listen was this little gem from Adele. I love this woman's voice, I love her full cheeks, and I love her effortless manner -- it all adds up to the most quietly powerful song and video I've heard or seen in a long time. I also learned, looking it up on youtube, that this song, like so many others that I've chosen to blog about to date, was originally a gift from Bob Dylan. Damn that man has written a lot of beautiful songs! I wish I could provide a link to him singing it, but alas, I couldn't find one.

Lots of other people have covered this song, though I don't think any of them resonate with the same power as Adele's. The piano man gives a soulful rendition, and lots of country stars seem to have picked up this song too, including Garth Brooks. I'm not a big fan of country but I think Garth's version beats Billy's hands down, and in the accompanying video you can see Sandra Bullock's onscreen heartbreak, filmed before the crushing blows she's now experienced in real life.

As for me and the man across the pond who packaged and posted this song and all the others, he may not be able to hold me for a million years, but I can feel his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment