Monday, July 26, 2010

Hallelujah

I really need to get a good night's sleep tonight, but I'm having trouble getting there. The anxiety in my stomach that used to be a constant companion now just comes back every once in a while to let me know when I'm ignoring a feeling that really needs to be felt, even at an inconvenient time like tonight, when I have a job interview in Chicago in the morning.

Lucky for me, riding the coattails of my anxiety this evening is this beautiful song sung by the equally beautiful Jeff Buckley. Listening to it, I'm struck most by the power of him singing the word Hallelujah, but I'm also struck by these lyrics:

Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

I think that's both really sad -- it's like Leonard Cohen's (the man who originally wrote and sang this song) version of Buddha's teaching that life is suffering -- and really beautiful at the same time. Love may not be a victory march, and it may be cold and broken (at times), but it's still an expression of joy and praise.

Hallelujah!

Now please let me get some sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment