Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Carry On

This song is my mantra right now. It kinda has to be. Although I really, really hate what is happening in my lovelife, I still have two kids to care for, I still have a real job and some yoga teaching gigs, and I still have a house to keep up and myself to feed, clothe and care for:

If you're lost and alone
Or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your past be the sound
Of your feet upon the ground
Carry on

Carry on, carry on

In the yoga class I taught yesterday, I focused on grounding, knowing intuitively that unless I focus all my energy on keeping my feet on the ground right now, I may end up in a place where I'm not able to meet all of my obligations (and hoping some of my students would appreciate the same focus):

If you're lost and alone
Or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your past be the sound
Of your feet upon the ground
Carry on

Besides, it isn't as if everything in my life sucks. My body, for one, is not betraying me -- it is instead proving to be a real asset in my quest to run 13 miles in June (and run them faster than I did in 1994 since I'm competitive like that, even with myself):

Woah
My head is on fire
But my legs are fine
Cause after all they are mine

No, what sucks right now has everything to do with the inapplicability of the rest of this verse to my life:

Lay your clothes down on the floor
Close the door
Hold the phone
Show me how
No one's ever gonna stop us now

As for the next verse:

Cause we are
We are shining stars
We are invincible
We are who we are
On our darkest day
When we're miles away
So we'll come
We will find our way home

Even through a tremendous amount of anger and pain, I still believe that we are both shining stars and that we'll both find our way home. It's not that I've stopped believing in that. It's just that every bone in my body, every tear that falls, is screaming: Why can't we find our way home together?

If you're lost and alone
Or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your past be the sound
Of your feet upon the ground
Carry on

Carry on, carry on

It ain't easy, but I'm gonna have to...

No comments:

Post a Comment