Saturday, January 5, 2013

Song of the Lonely Mountain

This morning I took my son to see The Hobbit. He requested that I take him, saying on the way to the theatre that he hoped it wasn't too scary, but I was the one hiding my eyes during the battle scenes. It did have its scary, hard-to-watch moments, but it was breathtakingly beautiful to behold at the same time. Kinda like life, I reckon.

On the way home, my son mentioned how much he liked the music in the movie. He was more likely referring to the instrumental soundtrack that accompanied most of the film, but with few exceptions, I'm a lyrics girl, so I'm choosing the closing song to mark this day:

Far over the Misty Mountains rise
Leave us standing upon the height
What was before, we see once more
Is our kingdom, a distant light

Fiery mountain beneath the moon
The words aren't spoken, we'll be there soon
For home a song that echoes on
And all who find us will know the tune

In addition to moving music, the movie (or perhaps I should say story?) had some pretty damn inspiring things to say about the importance of home, juxtaposed with the most important qualities one needs in a partner when embarking on an adventure.

I've heard a lot about the importance of home from my boyfriend lately, since he's been missing his so much. It's funny, but Madison doesn't really feel like a home to me in the sense that the dwarves talk (and sing) about the Lonely Mountain or the way my boyfriend talks about New Hampshire. Maybe it would if I left it?  I don't know. For now, I feel like it's my home because it's where my children are, but I've never really resonated with this geographic location the way I have in places like California and Wyoming.

One of the things I loved about the movie was Bilbo's unlikely (but ultimately beneficial for all) decision to join the adventure of taking back the dwarves' home. It's a good lesson that sometimes the best things happen when we do something other than what we've always thought we would do.

I didn't expect to fall in love with someone whose home is New Hampshire. I didn't expect him to move out here to be with me, either, but I'm sure glad he did. It's given us much more time to gel as a couple and as a family. It's also given us time to wade through more of the old wounds and learn to be driven by what we know is most important: that we love each other in ways that are supportive of each person's highest good. And if my man's highest good can't be found living in Wisconsin all year round for the next 8 1/2 years, well then, I guess this isn't a good place for him to live.

The dwarves say that what's needed in a partner for an adventure are three things:

1) Loyalty
2) Honor
3) A Willing Heart

It's funny. I've always recognized the first two qualities in my boyfriend, and I would say he's got the last one covered too, long before I did, but he's not so sure. And you can't be sure until you're sure.

As for me, I'd say I've always had honor, but loyalty and a willing heart have only really settled into my bones and gotten comfy since I've been on this adventure of loving my lonely-for-the-mountains man...

No comments:

Post a Comment