Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I'm Free

One of the many adjustments that have come with moving to a new house is my morning commute. I used to be able to easily ride my bike to work, even if I drove or walked with my kids to their respective schools -- I'd just pick up my bike on my way back since my house was on the way to downtown. Not so anymore. That's meant more driving for me of late, which doesn't make me happy.

This morning I decided to just make it work to ride my bike, so I put my bike rack on my car, put my bike on it, and left it parked on a street near my daughter's school after I dropped her off.

Almost immediately after climbing aboard my Trek (and it ranks third of three in terms of the bikes in my fleet and how happy they make me), I heard this song start to play:

I'm free to do what I want any old time
I'm free to do what I want any old time

I am, of course, not free to do what I want any old time, but having the freedom to pedal myself to work greatly enhances my sense of personal freedom.

And although this wasn't the verse that went through my head, it is apropos for me today...

I'm free to choose who I see any old time
I'm free to bring who I choose any old time
Love me hold me love me hold me
I'm free any old time to get what I want

...because last night and today I was feeling a lot of anger about my lack of control over big parts of my life. Those words are a good reminder that while I may not have control, I do have choices, and recognizing that I am making choices -- though their outcome may be shy of that last line -- helps me take responsibility for my own happiness.

If I had to make one request to the Universe (with the Stones' help) to enhance my level of happiness, it'd be this:

Love me hold me love me hold me

...because I'm definitely not being held or getting as much lovin' in my life as I'd like at the moment.

I guess it's time for me to stop behaving as if I know or can control my fate, and instead ask for what I want and let go of the rest:

Love me hold me love me hold me

No comments:

Post a Comment