Thursday, August 13, 2015

Cecilia and the Satellite

At APT flanked by my parents and one of their friends
I've been running more again -- yesterday I did another lap around the Arboretum -- and I've been loving the fact that my legs have not even been sore after running six miles. All that biking makes for strong legs!

Speaking of biking, my road bike is in the shop, so I rode my mountain bike downtown today. After practice, I took a quick shower and then went out to my bike to hop on it and ride to my 11:00 am meeting.

Only I couldn't ride anywhere because I had a flat! Dang. Luckily someone was able to give me a ride to my meeting, and someone from my next meeting was able to give me a ride home.

Both meetings, as seems to be true much more often in this new part of my career path, were fabulous, and one even involved getting to hold a 7-week old baby. She was sooooo sweet! And I was able to just enjoy her, and not be at all sad that she wasn't mine, and that was a huge relief too.

April 30, 1971: I make my grand entrance
Why this song to mark this day? Well, on my run yesterday I heard that this song was written for the singer's baby, and between my holding a baby moment today and spending the evening with the folks who brought the world this baby now writing this blog post, it just seemed apropos:

I lock myself in a hotel room
Been waiting all night for the walls to move
I've loved some girls that I barely knew
I've made some friends, and I've lost some too
Crashed my car, I was 17
My mother in the seat riding next to me
The things I've learned from a broken mirror
How a face can change when a heart knows fear
Through all the things my eyes have seen
The best by far is you

I remember when my first baby was born. This is exactly how I felt: That no moment that had come before had been complete, and that what I thought was love was only a fraction for what I felt for my babe:

If I could fly
Then I would know
What life looks like from up above and down below
I'd keep you safe
I'd keep you dry
Don't be afraid Cecilia
I'm the satellite
And you're the sky

I've café crawled through Amsterdam
I've been around the world with a punk rock band
And I've seen London, and I've played Japan
I've been knocked down, I got up again
For all the places I have been
I'm no place without you

If I could fly
Then I would know
What life looks like from up above and down below
I'd keep you safe
I'd keep you dry
Don't be afraid Cecilia
I'm the satellite
And you're the sky

I'm the satellite
And you're the sky

And now I'm lucky enough to have two babies, and to feel this way about both of them:

For all the things my hands have held
The best by far is you

If I could fly
Then I would know
What life looks like from up above and down below
I'd keep you safe
I'd keep you dry
Don't be afraid Cecilia
I'm the satellite
And you're the sky

And you're the sky...

No comments:

Post a Comment