Friday, August 14, 2015

One Last Breath

This has been such a phenomenally gorgeous summer. Lovely and warm, but not hot. Cool nights that are great for sleeping. It's been magical.

This week though, probably appropriately since it is, after all, August, it actually did get hot. As I prepared to pick up my two-nights-overnight river camper, I pondered whether I had time to run around the lake as well as whether it was wise on such a hot day.

My son really didn't want to go on this two-night river excursion, and I talked to him about how I felt it was important he go anyway so that he would know he could do it and feel a sense of personal agency. As I pondered how to use the hour before I needed to pick him up, I decide to practice what I preach and go for this run even if it was gonna kind of suck because it was so hot.

And it kind of did, but I made it, and I even ran faster than the last few times I've done the same 6 mile loop.

That made me feel great -- and songs like this one kept me going:

Please come now I think I'm falling
I'm holding on to all I think is safe
It seems I found the road to nowhere
And I'm trying to escape
I yelled back when I heard thunder
But I'm down to one last breath
And with it let me say
Let me say

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking
maybe six feet
Ain't so far down

I'm looking down now that it's over
Reflecting on all of my mistakes
I thought I found the road to somewhere
Somewhere in His grace
I cried out heaven save me
But I'm down to one last breath
And with it let me say
Let me say

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking
maybe six feet
Ain't so far down

Sad eyes follow me
But I still believe there's something left for me
So please come stay with me
'Cause I still believe there's something left for you and me
For you and me
For you and me

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking
maybe six feet
Ain't so far down

Please come now I think I'm falling
I'm holding on to all I think is safe

Actually, Creed, I'm trying not to hold on too tight to anything. And I'm finding, for the most part, that I'm not falling, and I don't need anyone to catch me...

No comments:

Post a Comment