Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hello Goodbye

I've never thought about it before, but some of the lyrics of this Beatles classic could just as easily be between parent and child as between lovers, including these:

You say yes, I say no
You say stop and I say go, go, go

And these:

I say high, you say low
You say why, and I say I don't know

Why did I think of this tonight? Because tonight my own little Beatle (my 10 year old mop-top) had a choir and band concert, and this was the opening number. And starting last night, we spent the 24 hours before the concert arguing back and forth about what he was going to wear and whether he needed to shower.

I lost, he won: he went to the concert in a white T-shirt and too-small sweats with a big ol' rat's nest in his (semi) greasy hair.

At least, I felt like I'd lost before I got to the concert. Once there, I just felt really proud of his courage to join the choir this year, his dedication to the trombone, and maybe most of all, his lack-of-concern for the superficial. He comes by that last one honestly -- when I apologized to his Dad for his unkempt appearance, he wasn't the least bit fazed by it. I would do well to take a page from their book on that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment