Monday, January 31, 2011

Til Kingdom Come

When I was a little girl, I went to church with my Mom and my sister most Sundays. My Dad stayed home -- he was (and is) a non-believer. I was all over the map -- sometimes I thought I was really feeling it, really getting something out of sitting in that big, beautiful Episcopalian church with the funny smell of incense and old people all mixed together, and other times I felt I was standing in a room with a bunch of people who'd lost the ability to think or speak for themselves and could only recite the words they were told to recite. One of the phrases I remember saying but not understanding was "Til Kingdom Come" -- it sounded really ominous, but I didn't know what it meant.

This morning my ipod played this song, which sounds a bit to me like Chris Martin and the gang pondering some religious issues and maybe even, as I have, coming to understand faith by falling in love:

Still my heart and hold my tongue
I feel my time
My time has come
Let me in
Unlock the door
I never felt this way before

And the wheel just keeps on turning
The drummer begins to drum
I don’t know which way I’m going
I don’t know which way I’ve come

Hold my head inside your hands
I need someone who understands
I need someone, someone who hears
For you I’ve waited all these years

For you I’d wait 'til kingdom come
Until my day, my day is done
And say you'll come and set me free
Just say you'll wait, you'll wait for me

I know a little something about the waiting of which they sing -- this whole long distance thing can get a little tough sometimes. It isn't something I planned on, or would have thought possible, but isn't that what faith is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment