Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kiss

Heard this one coming out of the parking garage the other day after work, and it felt like a balm to my exhausted, stressed out body and spirit. Hearing his sensual voice felt like an escape hatch to a world I both wanted to be and felt a part of:

You don't have to be rich
To be my girl
You don't have to be cool
To rule my world
Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
I just want your extra time and your

Kiss

I didn't feel angry that my man wasn't around to kiss -- I just generally felt happy to be party to what Prince was singing about.

Not so today. Today I felt angry about every bit of sexuality I encountered and couldn't have, from my ex-husband's three-day beard, to the bald dude at the coffee shop who didn't even seem to particularly like the woman he was sitting with, to my lover's voice on the phone. Suddenly, that mature, grown-up, go-with-the-flow woman had become a petulant child. That's a bad metaphor in this case, but you know what I mean. I was mad about what I couldn't have. To what do I owe these uncomfortable feelings? I don't rightly know. End of a stressful week? Handful of not so-well-handled parenting moments and then parting with my kids for a few days? That time of the month? Or maybe just the fact that it's been three weeks since this particular need has been met:

I just need your body baby
From dusk till dawn

Is that so much to ask? Apparently. Is it so much to ask for Prince to allow us to listen to his music on youtube? Apparently. The best I can do is this rather sweet but quite graphic video where Prince is at least singing it in the background...

Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up better able to go with what is again instead of being mad about what isn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment