Friday, January 7, 2011

If Things Were Perfect

Biking in the winter has its ups and downs, and today, I was lucky enough to experience the full range:

Up(s): The sun came out this morning, and my bike ride to the Capitol was beautiful.

Down(s): I had a little spill this morning doing something that wouldn't have caused a spill on roads that weren't icy; the bike ride home tonight was f*&%ing freezing -- two below with the wind chill, to be exact.

There's a big part of me that likes all that comes with being a biker in the winter -- I feel better when I bike to work, and it's empowering to do it even when the elements test me. Also, lots of people tell me I'm "hard core" -- and for the most part, I like being hard core, especially when that's how I'm feeling. But I'm not going to pretend that I'm not happier biking when it is warm and green and the lakes are shimmering rather than solid.

Hence my Moby selection this evening:

Give me summer
Give me summer
Give me summer
Give me summer

Broken darkness my cold end
I look for places I've never seen
Nothing moves but the quiet on the street
Now I open my eyes to this
Isolated walking long hard hours
Winter cold just brings me winter showers
It's so brutal with the cold sky
Wrapped in cold late at night

Yeah, some of what he said, and the other issue for me in the winter is getting out of bed in the morning. Despite my best efforts during this, my first week back to full-time work, I didn't get out of bed every morning to meditate or do yoga. I didn't even get out of bed early enough to be ready to leave the house when my kids were on the two days that they were here. That's not cool. Whatever the season, that needs to change -- winter just increases the challenge for me. I'm determined, though -- I can meet that challenge, and I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment