Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Nothing Compares 2U

This powerful song from one of the most phenomenal female vocalists EVER (in my opinion) has been on my mind for the past several weeks, but it just hasn't exactly fit. It's a little too melancholy, a little too waaahhh it's over:

It's been seven hours and fifteen days
Since you took your love away
I go out every night and sleep all day
Since you took your love away
Since you been gone I can do whatever I want
I can see whomever I choose
I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant
But nothing
I said nothing can take away these blues
'Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to you

As opposed to my feeling which is more along the lines of: waaahhh he's not here anymore.

Last night, though, as I sat eating my dinner in my favorite fancy restaurant in town with a friend, it ran through my mind again. The restaurant in question is one I haven't been to in probably about three years -- it was the place my ex-husband and I most often went to celebrate special occasions. The food is sooo good -- why did I stay away so long? I don't know, exactly. I couldn't bring myself to go there on a date (I also didn't really date any dudes who suggested it), and somehow in my mind it was reserved for a romantic dinner.

Not so. I'm here to say that I enjoyed the food, and the ambiance, every bit as much as a divorced woman out with a good friend as I did when I was there with my husband. Her company too, was as engaging as I would've had with my current love. So, Sinead, I guess I would say I hear what you are saying, and I've totally been there, but I'm not there anymore -- thank god!

Of course, when I got home and had only my full belly to keep me company, I was feeling the waaahhh a little more again...

No comments:

Post a Comment