Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What's My Name?

You know what one of my favorite things about love is? The universality of it. I don't own any Rihanna CDs. She's not my favorite artist by a long shot, and I don't feel any particular kinship with her -- but she speaks to me sometimes -- usually at Functional Fitness because that's where I most often hear her. Tonight in class, when this song came on, I didn't connect with it at first, but when she sang:

You’re so amazing, you took the time to figure me out
Thats why you take me, way past the point of turning me on

I felt she was speaking my truth. It's pretty fascinating for me, a girl who tried to orchestrate as many of her experiences as she could in an effort to maintain some semblance of control over a world that often didn't deliver on the good stuff, to cede that control, and find myself with someone who took the time to figure me out -- and have it take me places I didn't know were open to me. It can be pretty intense, and there's no guarantee about how it'll turn out, but every time I feel a little twinge of this:

You bout to break me, I swear you got me losing my mind

I take a deep breath, and remind myself how awesome it is to get to bear witness to him, to myself, to us, in this moment -- and that's really all we've got. Or all we need. Or both?

No comments:

Post a Comment