Monday, January 10, 2011

Gimme Shelter

I got home late tonight after going straight to an appointment and errands after work, followed by teaching yoga. I stopped on my way home to pick up some thai food because I knew I wouldn't feel like cooking. I also stopped at my kids' other house to pick something up, and when I arrived home I felt a couple of things: 1) Relieved to be home; 2) Wishing I was coming home to my kids or my man or better yet, both. That's the way it's supposed to work, isn't it? Not necessarily, and today, I got to bear witness to the fact that although it's supposed to work that everyone gets to experience the relief in arriving home, some of us aren't so fortunate.

When I got to work today, I parked right near an entrance to the Capitol, and as I got out of the car, I realized that draped over the giant, convex air vent was a sleeping homeless person. It was one of the saddest sights I've ever had to behold -- the temperature outside was probably about 10 degrees.

I wish there was something I could do about this besides dedicate this classic Stones tune to that poor soul who is likely braving the elements again tonight, but alas, it's the best I can do:

Oh, a storm is threat'ning
My very life today
If I don't get some shelter
Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away

No comments:

Post a Comment