Saturday, September 27, 2014

Do I Wanna Know?

I heard this song for the first time yesterday in the car:

Have you got color in your cheeks?
Do you ever get that fear that you can't shift
The type that sticks around like something in your teeth?
Are there some aces up your sleeve?
Have you no idea that you're in deep?
I dreamt about you nearly every night this week
How many secrets can you keep?
'Cause there's this tune I found that makes me think of you somehow and I play it on repeat
Until I fall asleep
Spilling drinks on my settee

And it was just one of those songs I loved the first time I heard it -- the British sound, the oh-so-relatable lyrics:

(Do I wanna know)
If this feeling flows both ways?
(Sad to see you go)
Was sort of hoping that you'd stay
(Baby we both know)
That the nights were mainly made for saying things that you can't say tomorrow day

Crawling back to you

Ever thought of calling when you've had a few?
'Cause I always do
Maybe I'm too busy being yours to fall for somebody new
Now I've thought it through

I wonder about that concept in the second to last line of the last verse. I really do. I'm finding it tricky to find the sweet spot between not resisting my love for the New Englander and not being mired in it:

Crawling back to you

I really love the next two lines -- and part of me wonders that about both of us:

So have you got the guts?
Been wondering if your heart's still open and if so I wanna know what time it shuts
Simmer down and pucker up
I'm sorry to interrupt. It's just I'm constantly on the cusp of trying to kiss you
I don't know if you feel the same as I do
But we could be together if you wanted to

Actually, I don't wonder if I have the guts. 'Cause I know I do. I do wonder if he does. I sure thought he did. But I'm with the Arctic Monkeys: We could be together if he wanted to. But I need to remember that he doesn't want to, not badly enough, anyway. And while it is hard for me to understand and/or believe that, when I look at the evidence, it's pretty dang clear...

No comments:

Post a Comment