Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Like a Bird on a Wire

This morning I got up to do yoga at a sunrise class on Lake Wingra. When I arrived, it was as if all the waterfowl in Madison decided to come to the same yoga class. It was incredible. The teacher remarked that she'd been teaching there for years and had never seen anything like it. Myself, up at 4am feeling and dealing with the sadness attached to losing Mary last summer (this time last year she had been in the hospital for a day and we were still hopeful), I knew they'd come to help mark her memory. As I set the intention for my practice, to have her strength fill my body (she was the strongest person I know), and watched the birds begin to disperse, I heard this somber tune by Leonard Cohen inside my head. The man's an amazing poet, so some lyrics are in order here:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Like a worm on a hook,
like a knight from some old fashioned book
I have saved all my ribbons for thee.

If I, if I have been unkind,
I hope that you can just let it go by.
If I, if I have been untrue
I hope you know it was never to you.

When I was up early this morning, I also read an email from my friend whose baby died after only one day -- she was cycling back through the grief -- maybe that' s another reason it was a Leonard Cohen morning:

Like a baby, stillborn,
like a beast with his horn
I have torn everyone who reached out for me.

But I swear by this song
and by all that I have done wrong
I will make it all up to thee...

Alright my little chickadees, time to go live this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment