Sunday, August 29, 2010

That's What Friends Are For

If I'd been asked to guess two weeks ago what song I'd be picking as I put my old flame on a plane to go back to England, this would not have been my guess. And if someone had suggested it, I likely would've bristled at the word friend, believing that for my first love to be reduced to a friendship would in some way detract from something that's been such an important part of who I am as a woman.

But as it turns out, underneath all of it, and after all this time, a really close friendship is exactly what is left, and it's actually really beautiful. We had such a good time together. We laughed, we cried (ok, I cried), we talked, we swam, we canoed, we ate, we drank, we watched Mad Men, we played with my kids, we went out with (relatively) new friends and reminisced about old friends. And we held each other. Closely.

It isn't easy to let him go, but I know he's got his life to live and I've got mine. I'm really grateful for the time we had together, and along with Dionne, Stevie, Elton & Gladys, I'm singing him this song:

And I never thought I'd feel this way
And as far as I'm concerned
I'm glad I got the chance to say
That I do believe I love you

And if I should ever go away
Well, then close your eyes and try to feel
The way we do today
And then if you can remember

Keep smilin', keep shinin'
Knowin' you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for

Well, you came and opened me
And now there's so much more I see
And so by the way I thank you

Whoa, and then for the times when we're apart
Well, then close your eyes and know
These words are comin' from my heart
And then if you can remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment