Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ain't No Sunshine

Sundays are just tough for me lately. On some level, the evolved part of me understands that is just a story, and in part, my identification with that story is what is perpetuating it. But then there's the part of me that's pretty damn game -- the part that shows up every Sunday hoping to just be present to what is -- only to find that what is kinda sucks.

Some background: Sundays are switch days -- the day my kids go back to their Dad's house. I think this adds a layer of stress to our parent-child interactions, and the result isn't pretty. With my son, when I use my psycho-spiritual babble, we can usually get the bottom of a tough situation in minutes. With my daughter, not so much. And today I spent some extra time alone with my daughter, "special time," which was like a roller coaster -- some really high highs and some really low lows.

And now, after teaching yoga and then attending a yoga sutra book group meeting, I'm home again. And the house is quiet. Which is, of course, what I longed for at some points during the lows with my daughter. So why is it that this song is what's coming to mind right now?

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone.
It's not warm when she's away.
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
and she's always gone too long
anytime she goes away.

...Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
and this house just ain't no home
anytime she goes away.

It's hard to beat Bill Withers (linked above), but I've always thought Lenny Kravitz was a serious hottie, so you might want to check out his version of this tune too. If blonde dudes are more your thang, Sting is sporting an unfortunate stache in this video, but he's quite a crooner nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment