Sunday, October 3, 2010

Superwoman

Had a great talk with my home girl today, someone with whom I shared a lot of conjecture about what love & marriage would be like long before either one of us embarked on that path. Not surprisingly, a lot of that conjecture consisted of music, and this was one of our favorites to sing together about what we wanted and needed in a relationship:

Oooh, baby, look into the corners of your mind
I'll always be there for you through good and bad times
But I can't be that superwoman that you want me to be
I'll give my everlasting love if you'll return love to me

I'm not your superwoman (Oh, no, oh, no)
I'm not the kind of girl that you can let down
And think that everything's okay
Boy, I am only human (I'm only human)
This girl needs more than occasional
Hugs as a token of love from you to me (Oh, no)

It's funny. In some respects I'm tempted to conclude that love and marriage are really more complicated than this song and/or our preconceived notions of love and marriage would have us believe. But in other respects, it really is just about this simple. I guess ultimately what becomes so complex is that the love we need changes and sometimes our spouses are able to roll with those changed needs and sometimes they aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment