Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cool Change

I am one lucky, loved woman, and for the last dozen years, I've been lucky enough to get a lot of that love from colleagues in my position as a University researcher. This is my last week on the job, and over the last couple of days, many of these wonderful people have joined in a happy hour celebration in the evening after work and fritters in the office suite in the morning to help mark this huge rite of passage.

Last night at the bar, we went around the table and took turns saying what we would do if we quit our jobs and could do anything we wanted. It was really inspiring to hear about people's passions and it helped shore me up to take my own plunge. In many respects, I am quitting my job and doing what I want: writing my memoir, teaching yoga, being a more involved mother, and continuing to work to find the best levers to push for change so that we don't continue to fail generations of poor black kids with our public school system.

It isn't easy to leave -- the security of a regular paycheck, 5 weeks of vacation, practically free health care -- not to mention the laughter, intellectual stimulation and support of my colleagues. But I'm not leaving Madison, so I'll still get to see them sometimes. And although it is not without some fear, I believe in the Universe's abundant ability to provide for people to do the work they are on this earth to do. I've been able to do some of it from the confines of the institution, and I'm grateful for that. But there's more I need to do outside it.

Sing it, Little River Band!

Time for a cool change
I know that it's time
for a cool change
Now that my life
is so pre-arranged
I know that it's time
for a cool change...

No comments:

Post a Comment