Saturday, October 30, 2010

Wheel in the Sky

Yesterday I woke up with a really heavy feeling, and realized why as my dreams started to come back to me. Both were pretty disturbing and I think they were somehow related. In the first, or should I say the first series, because it seemed to go on for hours, I would be walking along the beach and then come upon a beached whale. It happened over and over again. Fully awake, I googled "beach whale dream meaning" and found a highly amusing youtube video that offered little to no insight. I also saw some pictures that made me realize that the whales in question were sperm whales.

Cut to the next dream: I meet this mother who seems really overwhelmed and offer to take her baby for the night. I care for it lovingly, and then put it to sleep in a crib in the bedroom next to mine. When the dream me wakes up in the morning, I go into the bedroom to check on the baby, and nothing is in the room -- no crib, no baby. Just before the conscious me wakes up, I find the baby in another room, but by this time, having witnessed multiple whales in distress and nearly losing a stranger's baby, it's too late for me to start my day feeling any too rested.

What does it all mean? It's hard to say for sure, but I know part of it is the me of sleeping and waking wrestling with whether my dream of having another baby will ever see the light of day.

And when I heard this song today, I realized that those dreams also represent more generalized angst at this time of uncertainty in my life:

Oh, the wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
Ooh, I don't know where I'll be tomorrow
Wheel in the sky keeps me yearnin'
Oh, I don't know, I don't know

With my yoga practice taking a backseat to the healing of bike crash injuries, I'm feeling that angst just a little more forcefully than is comfy. Thank goodness for Steve Perry in the 80s -- just seeing this video makes me smile. I only wish I'd seen it 6 months ago so I could've grown my hair out to dress like him for Halloween. Next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment