Monday, October 18, 2010

Don't Want to Know if You Are Lonely

This song was the first of many gems I found in the sweet movie I watched last night: Adventureland. It brought me back to the time in my own life when I was the approximate age of the characters in the film -- late high school, early college.

There was something so appealing to me about this genre of music: it was fast, it was loud, it was easy to get lost in it. Many of my friends were in punk bands in high school, so on weekends, if we weren't roadtripping to see a show, we were in someone's garage or hunting shack enjoying a similar sound. (Yep, I said hunting shack. One of the joys of high school in a small town in Northern Wisconsin.)

This song was one of my faves at the time. Hearing it now, it sounds pretty angry, but maybe that's one of the reasons I found it so appealing at the time:

I'm curious to know exactly how you are
I keep my distance but that distance is too far
It reassures me just to know that you're okay
But I don't want you to go on needing me this way

I love Bob Mould -- so I highly recommend checking out the original by Husker Du. But Green Day's cover is pretty sweet too.

No comments:

Post a Comment