Sunday, October 31, 2010

Empire State of Mind

Freedom to move is big for me, both on a small scale (out for a run, a bikeride, yoga practice) and on a larger scale. The Midwest has never really felt like home to me. It's ok, and it's home to a lot of really nice people, but it's not my home. In hindsight, marrying someone for whom it does feel like home and having a couple of kids wasn't the most brilliant exit strategy. It's ok though -- having kids has been number one on my list since I was old enough to have a list -- and there's no question that the choice to have kids inevitably means that some other personal priorities take a backseat.

And thus I find myself, today, choosing to live in Madison because my children are here, even though it lacks so many other quality-of-life factors I enjoy, not to mention some of the work that I'm pretty sure I'm on this earth to do. Maybe I'll travel and do some of it from here, or maybe it just isn't time for that work now. I don't know. I do know that the most important and immediate job before me is to raise my kids, so I'm going to stay where I need to be to do that.

I also know that the next time I get hitched, baby or no baby, I'm going to make sure that the importance of the freedom to move is something my partner shares. And for now, I'm going to live vicariously through my friend who has embraced her right to move over and over again, and just may do it again soon with her new husband.

This one's for you kids:

Now you're in New York!
These streets will make you feel brand new,
The lights will inspire you,
Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York

That Jay-Z's a cool cat, but I think I prefer Alicia unadulterated -- you?

No comments:

Post a Comment