Friday, October 1, 2010

I Kissed a Girl

Ever since I was a little girl, I have often been unable to resist the temptation to say something that I know will get a rise out of someone.

This morning was a fine example. I went to the coffee shop closest to my place of employment (for one more week) to get my Cafe Americano, and as usual, I chatted with the friendly barista while I waited for my brew. The person in line before me had announced that his girlfriend was in town, and when it was my turn to chat about what my weekend had in store, I told him that I wasn't sure -- but my girlfriend was not in town. He smiled, and then I said "I don't really have that kind of girlfriend" and he said "Whatever Sarah, you just outed yourself, you can't take it back now."

I laughed -- I found the whole thing amusing, and when I went outside to bask in the autumn sunshine with my tasty beverage, it was this catchy tune I heard in my head.

Speaking of sexuality, while having my coffee, I read Savage Love, which almost always makes me laugh out loud. Today, however, I discovered something very cool that I wanted to pass along here. Turns out that Dan Savage, the sex columnist who writes Savage Love, and his partner, started a youtube site called It Gets Better for gay people to post videos of themselves as happy adults to give hope to young gay teens who are being harassed in their schools. As the column linked above explains, a number of these teens recently committed suicide because things felt so hopeless.

Not that it's particularly deep, but I do appreciate that this Katy Perry song may have taken some of the stigma out of having an attraction to someone of the same sex and acting on it. I hope so. No one deserves to be treated like those poor harassed teens...

No comments:

Post a Comment