Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Kind of Love

Today was a just-right Sunday for me. I slept in a bit, rode my bike downtown for a yoga class, had bagels afterward outside with a friend, rode home, had a nap outside in the backyard in the warm sun, went to visit a friend with two beautiful twin toddler girls, taught yoga, went out for coffee afterward, came home, ate a yummy dinner, and here I am.

This song came on the internal soundtrack this evening, and I'm guessing it was prompted by a number of factors. I am definitely in gratitude mode after a day like today, and one of the things I am grateful for is that I both want and have found a decidedly Sunday kind of love:

And my arms need someone
Someone to enfold
To keep me warm when Mondays and Tuesdays grow cold
Love for all my life to have and to hold
Oh and I want a Sunday kind of love
Oh yea yea yea

It wasn't always so. And I reckon the other reason this song came up was that the friend I had coffee with is going through a divorce, and when I support friends through this process, I always end up talking about my own divorce, and my ex introduced me to Etta James.

Though we didn't talk about it in these terms, one of the saddest aspects of divorce, my friend and I decided, is that both people at least seemed to go into the marriage wanting the same thing:

Oh I’m hoping to discover
A certain kind of lover
Who will show me the way

But somewhere along the line, it breaks down. I'm a big believer in the breakdown coming, in every case, from both parties, but that's not the way my friend's spouse sees it, and I'm not sure that's the way my ex sees it either. Oh well. Not much we can do about that.

I'm pretty sure it is impossible to beat Etta's original, but it is something to see Christina Aguilera when she was only 8 years old belting this number out from a place to which I was unaware 8 year olds had access...

No comments:

Post a Comment