Tuesday, June 7, 2011

96 Degrees in the Shade

It was a hot one today -- the title of this song is quite literally an accuweather description of this afternoon. And it was "Fun Day" at my kids' school, an entire day spent outside playing. Luckily a lot of the games involved water -- including the station that I (wo)manned this afternoon. Although I missed the rotation of my own kids through the squirt gun and splash pool area (they visited it in the morning while I was at work), I did get to see other kids between the ages of 5 and 14, and I was struck by how remarkably similar their play was, even given the big age range. For example, there was an ageless fascination with squirting people's butts, and in each group, there was at least one person who loudly and repeatedly announced: "I don't want to be squirted!"

Me? When I was asked if it was ok to squirt me, I relished every moment of the "Squirt the teacher!" barrage of water that ensued when each group discovered I was fair game.

And here's something else about me. I dig these black dudes, and I fully appreciate that they are singing about a lot more than hot temps in this song:

You caught me on the loose
Fighting to be free
Now you show me a noose
On the cotton tree
Entertainment for you
Martyrdom for me

96 degrees in the shade
Real hot in the shade

Some may suffer and some may burn
But i know that one day my people will learn
As sure as the sun shines, way up in the sky
Today i stand here a victim the truth is i'll never die

96 degrees in the shade
Real hot in the shade...

No comments:

Post a Comment