Saturday, June 11, 2011

Back to Mono

Well that didn't take long. Set an intention and poof: it came true. Just after I'd finished last night's blog post, my ex called me back on his way home from seeing these guys in concert. The video for this track appealed to me because of the colors in the freeze frame, and since these guys still release albums on vinyl, it seems apropos (see video).

As for our ability to come together to support our children, I left him a tearful message earlier (which probably did some melting of its own) to let him know that our son had called my friend's daughter two really ugly swear words that I'm not going to repeat here. Thank goodness for parenting books that teach us how to respond in productive ways -- I can't say that my first instinct would be to say: "Wow honey, you must've been really angry at her to call her those names. You need to find some acceptable means of expressing that anger, but calling her swear words is NOT acceptable." But I do see why that's better than just getting mad at him or telling him how much it hurt me to hear that from my friend. It's important, though, as my ex pointed out, for him to know that his actions don't occur in a vacuum and these things do get back to parents -- at least often enough to inspire us to get our kids -- and ourselves the help we need.

This parenting gig ain't easy -- especially in combination with this cleanse -- but the growth that it inspires at every turn is pretty remarkable...

No comments:

Post a Comment