Friday, June 10, 2011

Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk

This damn diet! I'm sooooo sick of eating pieces of broiled fish. And that's not even the worst part -- there are so many restricted items that even at the co-op I can't eat a single one of the prepared meals or salads. I sure hope this cleansing is worth all the pain. I have to admit I am sleeping a lot better -- the last two nights I've gotten eight hours in a row without waking up in the middle - -which really only happens on rare occasions when consuming my normal diet. We'll see if it keeps up.

I keep having to remind myself that this is a choice I am making -- and in the middle of one of these rows with myself I heard Rufus's voice:

Cigarettes and chocolate milk
These are just a couple of my cravings
Everything it seems I like's a little bit stronger
A little bit thicker, a little bit harmful for me

If I should buy jellybeans
Have to eat them all in just one sitting
Everything it seems I like's a little bit sweeter
A little bit fatter, a little bit harmful for me

I gave up the smoky treats years ago (except for the occasional here and there -- and the last one of those I can remember was July 4 last summer) -- but I sure do like my coffee, chocolate, booze and bread. Part of my rationale for doing this cleanse was so I could break out of my ruts and then consciously add back what I really miss, maybe in smaller doses, so I can have the better sleep and (at least some of) the goodies. Here's hoping!

1 comment: